Friday, May 31, 2013

A letter...for her...and me...



Dear Margo,

I can tell that you are really struggling right now. I can tell that cheer is not fun for you. I know that you feel like your coach is picking on you. It makes me so sad to see your blank, sad face in practice where I used to see a little girl who lit up, smiled and joked with her teammates and coaches. I miss that happy girl. One of my favorite pictures ever of you is from the last competition last year when you are in your final pose after the dance- you look so happy and so proud of yourself. It makes me smile when I look at it because I know at that very second you were happy and content.

But honestly, this is not about cheer. This is about what makes you happy. I don’t want to spend a year in cheer or anything else where you aren’t having fun. Your childhood is much too short for that- soon enough you’ll be a grown-up with lots of responsibilities and worries so for now I want you to be happy and feel good.

I think that you are a fabulous cheerleader and you have come so far (hello? You’re NINE and you can do a back tuck!!!!!) and I have no doubt that you could do even more if you set your mind to it. But if you don’t love it (and keep in mind this is spring training and conditioning is yucky…even by adult standards but there is a reason that it has to be done) we either need to find out why and change that or maybe take some time off and explore other options that would make you happier. I will be here cheering you on no matter what you choose because I am your mommy and I love you. I don’t love you because you are a cheerleader. I don’t love you because you can do a back tuck. I love you because you are Margo and you are my daughter. I love you because you are you.

Daddy will want to chat with you this weekend and I think he has some good ideas in mind to help you figure out what to do. Sometimes making decisions are so hard- even when you’re a grown-up! It takes some thinking and reflecting to decide what you want to do because sometimes if we make rash (which in this case ‘rash’ means ‘quickly and without thought’ ) decisions we regret them and wish we would have chosen differently. I want you to think about what will make you happy. That’s what’s important. Mommy and daddy love you and support you no matter what as long as you make a choice that is good for you.

I love you.

SS, who wrote this for herself as much as her daughter...because sometimes parenting is hard...and giving up what control we think we have over our kids is even harder...

2 comments:

  1. I remember being 10 or 11 and having played basketball for 5 years already. We went through so many coaching changes and every single one yelled at us to play differently than the last one. Finally it became no fun at all to play. And finally I quit. Later, I went into soccer and track and other sports. I didn't really miss basketball much. It works out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you are an awesome mom, by the way.

    ReplyDelete

Oh c'mon, don't be shy, leave a comment...you know you wanna and honestly, you'd make my entire day and you want to have that warm fuzzy feeling don't you? Mmmk, thanks!